Ottawa, Canada – We are currently seeking a Studio Manager to join our Ottawa studio. This is an excellent opportunity for a mature business professional looking for a mid-level management position in a dynamic and creatively satisfying environment. The ideal candidate will have a background in HR or business management. This is a very general position that interacts with and relates to all aspects of the business. However, it does have a focus on the responsibilities around employee attraction, onboarding, retention and relationships. This position provides the unique opportunity to learn and be a part of the television and film production industry.
- Type: Full-Time Employee
- Salary: $66,000 or as appropriate to the experience of the candidate. Medical/dental benefits and RRSP plan available.
- Positions available: 1
- Start Date: Negotiable
- Job Reference Number: SM-0517
- Generally, and in all respects, identify and work with stakeholders to review and establish strategies to increase the overall performance, effectiveness, and security of the company. This includes but is not limited to working with all other departments to develop and maintain best practices in administration, employee management, recruitment, technology, production, and the physical studio environment.
- Responsible for all aspects of employee onboarding and exits including contract management, orientation, policy explanations, scheduling reviews, exit interviews, and termination paperwork. Working with the Vice President, Business & Legal to ensure compliance with policy and Canadian employment law. Completing and managing foreign worker documentation.
- Assume ownership of all job descriptions as well as the advertising and posting of those jobs.
- Assume ownership of the setup, administration, and ongoing support of all HR systems.
- Responsible for implementing and organizing the annual recruitment strategy and budget as well as various employee related events and functions held throughout the year.
- Manage the creation and ongoing development of new and existing employment and communication policies.
- Create and take ownership of all Learning & Development initiatives. This includes existing employee development programs, internships, as well as bringing in outside providers to run knowledge seminars and training.
- Work closely with the Finance Department where there is shared responsibility for employee benefits, RRSP program, reporting, etc.
- Assist in building relationships with potential employees, current employees, and vendors.
- The ability to build rapport and engender respect while at the same time establishing a position of leadership and authority.
- An exceptional degree of professionalism, maturity, and absolute discretion with respect to confidential employee related information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. French would be an asset.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to work effectively in a self-directed capacity.
- Proven ability to think strategically AND tactically.
- 5 years in a similar HR or facilities management role. Additional experience or education in legal or accounting would be highly valued
- Must be a Canadian citizen and an Ontario resident.
- Minimum of a college or university program in HR, business administration, or business management.
Company Info: Headquartered in Ottawa, Mercury Filmworks® is one of Canada’s most prolific independent studios and internationally recognized as a leader in the animation industry for its benchmarks in quality, reliability, and innovation. Over its 19-year history Mercury has helped bring to life many of the most memorable modern animated television and film properties including the multi-award winning series Mickey Mouse Shorts, Lion Guard, Wander Over Yonder, Star and the Forces of Evil, Jake & the Never Land Pirates, Fish Hooks, Toot & Puddle, Gerald McBoing Boing, Atomic Puppet along with the feature films Curious George, The PowerPuff Girls Movie, and Looney Tunes: Back In Action. Mercury is proud to be associated with partners such as Disney, Amazon, NETFLIX, Warner Bros., Universal, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and its home networks CBC, SRC, TVO, Knowledge Network, DHX’s Family Channel and Family CHRGD and the Corus Entertainment family of networks, Teletoon, YTV, and Treehouse.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and link to your portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference: SM-0517 in the subject line of your submission.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Mercury Filmworks welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
53 Auriga Drive
Ottawa, Ontario Canada K2E 8C3
Job posted May 5, 2017